Chinese Food Cooking Tips
- Use enough oil when stir-frying. This gives best results. If worried about cholesterol and fats in oil, use canola oil – the best oil to use for stir-frying.
- Try using salt instead of soy sauce. It gives it a nicer color, and tastes better.
- Cut your ingredients into even sized pieces for best cooking results.
- Cook the denser ingredients first. Since they take longer time to cook.
- Use ginger, garlic, and cayenne pepper to spice up your Chinese cooking and also improve your health.
- Blanche dense vegetables before cooking for best results. For example, broccoli, carrots, cauliflower.
- You can use starch water to thicken sauces.
- Prepare your cooking ingredients ahead of time, so you’re never rushed.
- Try using all types of Chinese cooking ingredients such as dried fungus, Chinese mushrooms, yu choy, Chinese broccoli etc…
- When cooking something, it should look good, smell good, and most of all, taste good.
Fried rice cooking tips
Here are some techniques to achieve the perfect fried rice:
- Wok is the best tool to fry the rice, if you don’t have it, then its okay, it still manageable though tricky.
- When making fried rice do not use freshly cooked rice (if you do you will have a sticky mess) instead use left over cooked rice that is at least a day old (the rice should be kept in the refrigerator). If you don’t have any left over rice and don’t want to wait you can cook the rice and spread it out on a baking sheet and put it in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Used oil from previously fried meat is good to fry the rice, not the dark one of course. The taste of the meat will remain on the oil, hence it will be a nice contribution to the fried rice’s taste. If you don’t have it, then try using butter. (note: if you want to use butter, then use ordinary pan instead of wok)
- High heat, always make sure that the wok is really hot before starting to cook, aside from preventing the rice to stick, it will also prevent the meat or seafoods to be juicy.
- Don’t mash the rice to separate the grains, it will destroy it’s texture and you might break it. Use your hand to separate the grains, it will make your fried rice looks perfect.